THREE LITTLE WORDS (On life, On Love, On Laughs)
By FRANCIS KONG
“If you are looking for a way to make your home and work life more meaningful, read the inspirational book! Francis Kong’s insights are humorous and thought-provoking at the same time.”
President and CEO, Cebu Pacific Air
“Francis Kong combines wisdom, wit, and winsome comments in Three Little Words! It’s practical, purposeful, and pungent! I appreciate the fact that Francis lives out the advice and counsel he gives others. This is one little book which can make a large difference in your attitude, your home, your spiritual life, and your business”
Harold J. Sala
President, Guidelines International
“I have read and enjoyed Francis Kong’s numerous published works and I must say that his writing style is simple, refreshing and thought provoking… Francis succeeds in making us stop and ponder, calling our attention to simple yet profound thoughts on life as a whole.”
Sen. Francis Pangilinan
Senate, Majority Floor Leader, Republic of the Philippines
Three Little Words (On life, On love and On laughs) © 1999
Is an inspirational book which can help you reflect in every aspect in your life. May it be in your family, workplace, business, friends and even in your spiritual life, Francis Kong discussed everything in this book concisely.
I also appreciate inspirational books. I’ve read “The Purpose Driven Life” by Rick Warren before. It was required by our college professor when I was a student. It gives thoughts that reveal the realities in life. It’s almost the same with this book. The difference is “Three Little Words” offers convenience. In my reading experience about this book, I can read it randomly. From page 16, I can skip reading to page 100. It depends on the topic I want for that day to read. I’ll tell you I am not a book worm person. The important thing for me in reading a book is I learned something and enjoyed each page flipping. Most likely, this is a good book you can sit on and have a coffee with.
Francis Kong’s writing style
Simple and Concise. He didn’t used highfalutin words. Anyway, those kinds of words can be expected only in classic books. I was able to determine his agenda. He wants his reader to fully understand his thoughts by also sharing some stories about his personal experience. Sharing your own experiences is the best way to make your reader feel intimacy. It’s like telling a story to a friend. Actually, I’ve got this book on my aunt’s bookshelf. I’ve only borrowed it. I don’t know if I can return it with this kind of look.
I want to share some inspiring topics that I really like upon reading this book:
BE A FRIEND (pg.48)
He says that friends are people with whom you dare to be yourself. Your soul can be naked with them. They ask you to put on nothing, only to be what you are. They do not want you to be better or worse. When you are with them, you feel like the prisoner who has been declared to be innocent. You do not have to be on guard. You can say what you think, as long as you believe in it.
Friends understand those contradictions in your nature that lead others to misjudge you. With them you breathe freely. You can be up-front with your little vanities and envies and hates and vicious sparks, with your meanness little streaks of meanness and absurdities. And by opening them up to your friends, they are lost, dissolved in the wide and white ocean of their loyalty. They understand. You do not have to be careful. You can abuse them, neglect them, and tolerate them. Best of all, you can still keep them. It does not matter. They like you.
- If you want a friend, you need to to be a Friend first.
MAKE THINGS HAPPEN (pg.51)
There are only three Kinds of people in a workplace
- Those who make things happen
- Those who wait for things to happen
- Those who ask, “What Happened?”
- I laughed when I read the third one. The “What happened?” people are probably the ones who are always late in the workplace. They don’t know what’s going on even though they always come to work. The second one is the neutral worker. They follow rules and do their tasks well. I am like that. I usually just wait for anything to come. Now, I think its better if I can be a person who can make things happen. It’s the first one on the list. Those people are leaders. They are the source of progress in a workplace. They want improvement. Their mind is focus on success. The people look up to them because for without them a project can’t be done productively. How about you? What kind of people are you in the workplace?
GUARD YOUR THOUGHTS (pg. 63)
The Cheerers encourage while the breakers demoralize. There are those who see beyond the difficulty of life’s challenges and encourage me to get on with what I am doing. They are the ones I truly treasure for they have been God’s instruments of strength and blessing. But then again, there will always be friends, though they may be honest and sincere, who will always fail to see beyond the impending stormy situation. They wallow in the negative things in life. They are the people whom I truly fear. I mean, I love all of them right, but I make sure I throw a couple of cheerer friends in just so they can balance the perspective on a given situation.
As you go to the workplace today, be a cheerer, not a breaker. Encourage someone. Make Him, or her, feel better and you’ll be surprised. You’re gonna feel better your self-doing it. And, oh yes, by the way, the bible calls this living the Golden Rule.
- In my experience, the world outside home is really risky. I can say that out of 10 people I can possibly meet, nine are negative and only one can be positive. And that positive person can be nice and kind to you and all but can still stab you at the back. You really have to put your guards high as possible. So in befriending people, choose friends wisely.
SHORTEN LONG MEMORY (pg. 83)
I guess I need to remind myself that the past is not a place to long for; it is a place to learn from. And this principle applies to people with long memory, as well. Those who are not only historical, but those who grow to be hysterical, as well, whenever the past comes back to haunt them.
- I really did take note on this one. Yes, the past is a place to learn from. Anyway, I didn’t long for the past. Actually, I even want to delete it. Then I realize, the past gave a lesson to me. I know its cliché, “Experience is still the best teacher.” Though I want to ignore it but I won’t take it for granted.
DO BUSINESS HONORABLY (pg. 77)
I don’t know why certain people, whether they be professionals or entrepreneurs, take sinister delight in gaining advantage over someone else. To them, business is like a poker game. You bluff your way, you keep your hand, and then the guy who’s got the most intelligence coupled with a great stroke of luck, wins! In other words, winning means someone is smarter and the others, dumber. Winning means outsmarting someone and achieving an end with whatever mean is there
People do this because they do not understand the concept of business. Japan’s legendary and revered business genius has been able to provide for the right definition for business. Konosuke Matsushita says, “Business does not exist in order to make profit. It exists in order to benefit society. Profit is simply society’s reward for the job well done.”
- This topic is about Business. Me too, I don’t understand why some people has this delight on taking advantage of other people. They feel genius when they were able to fool the other person. Karma works. I hope they believe in it. Also, a real businessman knows that it’s not all about the profit but it’s about the society’s benefit.
LOVE YOUR WORK (pg. 105)
“Work to become, not acquire!”
Work is not only a means by which we earn a living. It is a means by which we earn how to live. It provides us with countless opportunity to build up that most important part of the human being, the inward part called character. Work provides us with the opportunity to meet new friends, learn life experiences and even teaches us to avoid certain kinds of people. Work gives us the blessed opportunity to be productive with better. In Short, work gives us value as human beings because it is an expression of God’s glorious creative feature, the ability to create and the ability to be channels of blessing for others, too.
- Work enable to live not to die. It’s one of my motto. If you have work think about its function and its primary purpose not the earnings you’ll get. If you only think about salary, you won’t be motivated. You’ll be just after the money so you won’t be concern about your work quality especially if you don’t love your work.
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS (pg. 151)
“Content makes poor men rich; discontent makes rich men poor,” says Benjamin Franklin.
“I had no shoes and complained until I met a man who had no feet. And then, I was content”
- I had this “Self Pity” due to what happened to me. Until I realized, there are more pitiful people than me. I am still luckier than them. Contentment is also a key to happiness.
WORK YOUR FAITH (pg. 170)
God doesn’t always answer our prayers in the way we expect, but he does answer. To have faith and trust in God means that we recognize His activity in our circumstances, regardless of how hopeless they seem. In our eyes, things may look like they are getting worse and that God has abandoned us. But God sees the Big picture and we can trust that he will never leave us nor forsake us. He is at work, even we don’t realize it.
- There came a point in my life that I thought God has abandoned me. This is my line: “Why did it happen to me? Why not to my neighbour? Why not to my friend? Why it should be me? Why should I suffer like that? Why did I experience that? I never imagined that it can happen to me. I was so scared that time. I was a prisoner of fear. Why did you Abandoned me?” I lost my faith. But, what really hard is to lose myself. I really ask so many questions. I really felt that I already experienced the worst thing in my life. It’s really mind destroying. Now, I am thinking it needs to be me for a reason. I was able to overcome that. I believe that someday I am going to see what the big picture is all about.
Overall, it is one book you can read anytime you want. It’s a comfortable book. You will learn a lot in life. You can talk about it with your friends. It can also be helpful for Philosophy, Ethics or Sociology professors. If you want an inspirational book which is practical and full of real life lessons, read this book. I can recommend this to almost everyone.
Rating: 8 out of 10